Monday, 20 January 2014

Independent Learning Log 2

Independent Learning Log
T1W2

9:30pm-10:00pm

Source:
http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/148703#view=notes

What I did:
I realised that my vocabulary was lacking a little something, so I decided to learn some new words in order to improve my standard of English. This would probably a long term activity, so I decided to start with words that start with the letter 'A'.

What I learned:
Here are the words that I learned:

1. Aberration
Meaning: a state or condition markedly different from the norm.
Sentence exampleWhile Tampa Bay has taken a huge nosedive a year after going 10-6, maybe that 2010 success was an aberration.

2. Abject
Meaning: most unfortunate or miserable
Sentence example: Mr. Jobling stood wringing his hands helplessly, his flaccid features expressive of abject despair.

3. Abstract
Meaning: existing only in the mind; separated from embodiment.
Sentence example: Presenting an abstract concept, waving our arms trying to describe it, we will lose our audience right away.

4. Accentuate
Meaning: to stress out, single out as important, highlight.
Sentence example: It was a carefully studied costume; and he accentuated its eccentricity by adopting theatrical attitudes and an air of satisfied negligence.

5. Acerbic
Meaning: harsh or corrosive in tone.
Sentence example: They were complaining, sometimes yelling, and maybe a bit acerbic.

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you had learnt new words. In fact, some or rather majority of these words were pretty alien to me as well. So, thank you for introducing to me new words, thus, expanding my vocabulary. Good job!

    ReplyDelete