Monday, 13 January 2014

Independent Learning Log

T1W1
8th January 2014
9.30 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Source : Longman Pocket Idioms Dictionary

What I did : 

I had a sudden craving for amusing and fun-sounding idioms so I decided to pick out one of the many pocket dictionaries I had on my book shelf and started browsing through some pages of the dictionary to look for idioms that I was not very familiar with and expand my english vocabulary.

What I have learnt :

There were quite a few new phrases that I had just learnt but the ones I found very amusing and attractive were the ones stated below. These idioms mentioned seemed easy and fun to use especially in write-ups and essays.

Be/ Get het up - to be or become anxious or upset
Shoot from the hip - to express what you think in a direct way
To the hilt - as much as possible
Be full of holes - to have many faults
Be on the warpath - to be very angry and determined to deal with a situation
Np great shakes - not very good

Things I learned about idioms : 

Idioms, personally to me are easy-to-use words or phrases which are fun to learn and use. They can especially be used in write-ups like narratives, continuous writings, etc to add content and meaning to the write-up. They also make the story much more interesting and at the same time, it improves your vocabulary, which makes it a win-win situation.

Htet Wai Yan Linn (12)

S3-01

1 comment:

  1. Good job listing down the words that you have learned when reading your idioms dictionary. You should proof-read your log to check for spelling or grammar errors.

    -Farruq

    ReplyDelete