Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Independent Learning Log

T1W2
8/1/14
8pm-8.30pm

Source : http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/20/2/245.full

What I did : Our Chemistry teacher recently brought up the case of melamine poisoning in China in 2008 and I decided to read up about melamine. I want to learn new words from the article and some knowledge about melamine.

What I have learnt :

Epidemiology - Science of study of the patterns, causes and effects of the health and disease in defined populations.

Postmortem - An examination of a dead body to find out the cause of death.

Ultrasonology - A technique using echoes of ultrasound pulses to delineate objects or areas of different density in the body.

Delineate - Indicate the exact position of a border or boundary.


Carcinogen - Any substance that produces cancer.


Things I learned about melamine : 

It is 66% nitrogen by molecular weight and when combined with formaldehyde, it produces melamine resin, which is a very durable thermosetting plastic.





1 comment:

  1. Good job on learning more vocabulary. I think you can also add in to more information about each word.

    ReplyDelete