Monday, 20 January 2014

Independent Learning Log

T1W2
18th January 2014
8.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. 

Source(s) : 

Tort Law- Pearson Education 3rd Edition

What I did: 
Over the weekend, I borrowed a book from the library on Tort Law to improve my general knowledge. I read the book twice and made notes on it.

What I have learnt:

  1. I learnt that Tort Law is part of Civil Law and is a law on civil wrongs (tort).
  2. Tort Law can be divided into 7 categories: Nuisance, Defamation, Negligence, Assault, Battery, Trespass, False Imprisonment
  3. Nuisance is the act of making a person not able to enjoy his private use of land fully.
  4. Defamation is the act of making statements whether verbal (slander) or written (libel) to degrade one’s image.
  5. Negligence is the act of not performing one’s duty of care to its standards, causing harm or risk to others.
  6. Assault is the act of threatening someone.
  7. Battery is the act of placing force on someone without his permission.
  8. Trespass is the act of invading one’s land or chattels (property).
  9. False imprisonment is the act of wrongfully restricting one’s freedom of movement.
  10. I also learnt the defences to each tort.

Summary:


The weekend have been a very meaningful and fruitful set of two days as I managed to expand my learning horizons and improve my general knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. This will help with crime stories, lending a backdrop of reality to a situation.

    ReplyDelete