18th January 2014
8.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.
Tort Law- Pearson Education 3rd Edition
What I did:
Over the weekend, I borrowed a book from the library on Tort Law to improve my general knowledge. I read the book twice and made notes on it.
What I have learnt:
- I learnt that Tort Law is part of Civil Law and is a law on civil wrongs (tort).
- Tort Law can be divided into 7 categories: Nuisance, Defamation, Negligence, Assault, Battery, Trespass, False Imprisonment
- Nuisance is the act of making a person not able to enjoy his private use of land fully.
- Defamation is the act of making statements whether verbal (slander) or written (libel) to degrade one’s image.
- Negligence is the act of not performing one’s duty of care to its standards, causing harm or risk to others.
- Assault is the act of threatening someone.
- Battery is the act of placing force on someone without his permission.
- Trespass is the act of invading one’s land or chattels (property).
- False imprisonment is the act of wrongfully restricting one’s freedom of movement.
- I also learnt the defences to each tort.
The weekend have been a very meaningful and fruitful set of two days as I managed to expand my learning horizons and improve my general knowledge.