Monday, 27 January 2014

Independent Learning Log 3

T1W3
4.45PM-5.15PM
26 JAN 2014


Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545824/Anton-Casey-British-banker-living-Singapore-provoked-fury-ridiculing-poor-people-parted-ways-company-gone-Australia.html

What I did:

I decided that, since I've read enough Singaporean-written articles about British Expat Anton Casey's behaviour over the last seven days, I would read from another perspective about the issue, so I went to dailymail.co.uk (British news website) to research about this topic as well.

What I learned:

I learned that the views and comments about Anton Casey on that website were the same, even with people of his own nationality calling him things like 'Arrogant idiot (pardon me)' and commenting on his behaviour as 'typical Brit abroad behaviour'. Someone even said 'Maybe he will be now forced to see what is like to be one of the poor downtrodden souls'.

Comments and personal attacks aside, I feel that it is nice to see how this issue was looked at, not from a biased point of view (nationality, etc), but rather by his deeds and actions, which he is now being condemned for all over the world. But, even if I am happy that this person is gone from Singapore, I can't help but feel a tinge of pity for him as his whole life practically got destroyed in a week (whether he deserved it or not).

I've also learned a few new words in the process:

1. Bigoted (adjective form of Bigotry)
Meaning: Having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

2. Pillock
Meaning: A stupid person (pardon me again)

No comments:

Post a Comment